Sunday, June 19, 2011

Where does the time go?

 I can't believe it has been almost one month since my mother died. It still seems surreal to me. She isn't really gone, is she? I think about it every day. I generally don't cry every day, but there were two days this week that were really hard. I can't figure out what triggers my sadness. I was walking Nanny the other night. It was twilight and a little breezy. I was just watching the trees move and I felt overwhelmed with it all. I know the stages of grief. Denial. Bargaining. Depression. Anger. Acceptance. I have felt a little of each over the last few weeks. But, knowing what the textbooks say about grief and what is happening in my own mind and heart are two different things. I can tell myself to stop trying to wish that things could have been different. It won't do any good. But I can't stop.I do wish that I could go back in time and do a few things differently. I would have had her come to England last fall, for the short time she was well. I would have been kinder. I would have asked her more about her childhood. 
Well, life does go on, though. We are enjoying it here. 
We went to Cambridge for fun recently, and we went to London to get some passport stuff taken care of. We used the time there to tour around for a bit. It was wonderful. 
Chris and Emmett spend their days doing lots of different things...like setting up a hamster portrait studio.
 Em and Augi doing a little acrobatics on my unmade bed. 

Em passing the time while waiting for Augi and I to do a little shopping in Cambridge. 
 Em enjoying the double decker bus...


 It was a little strange to see the American Cemetery in England...
Punting... 

We found a natural history/geology museum. Emmett immediately wanted to know "where is the stuff we can touch?" Luckily, they had some! 


 Em, feeling happy that we were out of the Embassy building in London. 








 This is as close as we got to Buckingham Palace. Maybe next time. This trip we did the London Eye, the aquarium, Westminster Abbey, and St James Park. It was a really fun day. 

 Augi decided to wear one of her hats to look a little more British. It is funny, she tells me that she is "English" now. She is quite proud of it. 
Em. Super Knight. 

We can't forget to mention the new pets. We have had them one week. They are adorable, but I have to admit they were an impulse buy. I don't know if we will keep them. I don't need any more responsibility in my life right now. 
 Don't ask. He was a super-hero/Bob the Builder/no trouser guy.
 Hanging at the park with Daddy while the girls are at work and school.



I hope these two realize how lucky they are to get to spend these days together. 

1 comment:

Heather said...

Love all these photos, its all about enjoying our families now and enjoying each day, making memories. It hurts so bad that she is gone but the laughter and smiles from our kids make it hurt just a little bit less. You know she loves seeing and hearing them too!