Friday, December 12, 2014

Emmett Beuller's Day Off

Ferris: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." 

I am feeling so old. Ferris Bueller's Day Off came out 30 years ago. Ug.
Me in 1984:
Sort of Mugshot-ish. I was actually the "Monarch of the Month." 

Ferris: "How could I possibly be expected to handle school on a day like this?"

Once in a while my kids request a mental health day, i.e., they want to play hookie from school.
Augi requested one in May. Imagine that? She had been back in the US for about 6 weeks and she was feeling overwhelmed. She took a bath, played in her room, and skyped friends.
Emmett requested his on Wednesday morning. First he said he had a tummy ache. I reminded him that it is ok to say he needs a day off without feigning illness. He fessed up. He wanted a day off. I couldn't take off work Wednesday, so we agreed upon Thursday.

Ferris: "Pardon my French, but Cameron is so uptight, if you stuck a lump of coal up his ass, in 2 weeks, you'd have a diamond."

I know that some people will balk at my decision to let my kids stay home once in a while. I say they are uptight. One day off is not going to send my children into a downward spiral into failure and homelessness.

Mr. Rooney: He jeopardizes my ability to effectively govern this student body.
  • Grace: Well, he makes you look like an ass, is what he does, Ed

You might say my kids are manipulative, I am too squishy in my parenting, they are spoiled, they are learning to run from their troubles. Why can't they do it on the weekend?
Because weekends are just not the same. 
Admit it!

Jeanie: "Why should he get to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants?

 My kids are very well behaved at school. They follow the rules. They turn in their work. They try their hardest. They are nice to everyone. They also know that they don't have to lie and tell me they are sick when they just need a break. They are learning to recognize their feelings and take care of themselves.

Ferris: Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.

So we played hookie!  

Ferris: The question isn't "what are we going to do," the question is "what aren't we going to do"?

This is what we did in our 6 hour freetime:







(He learned that he didn't like it.)





At the end of the day...we both said we would do it again!

Garage Attendant: You guys got nothing to worry about, I'm a professional.
  • Cameron: A professional what?

That's right. I am a professional. 

Stay home days are not only ok, they are necessary.





2 comments:

ysh said...

Bravo!!

Unknown said...

It's the decline of civilization as we know it. Good thing you weren't on a base or CPS would be at your door. Hut hut hut ! We miss you guys terribly.