Monday, February 02, 2009

Sensory treatments and the Princess

Many of you know I diagnose my own children on a daily basis depending on my mood and theirs. Try to put that aside. Augi seriously has some sensory processing issues, especially concerning tactile stimulation. This is psychobabble for "she hates clothes." Getting her dressed is a nightmare. Everything is too tight, too loose, too itchy, too buggy. She was even willing to miss out on India's birthday this weekend rather than have to put on "saggy" unders. The specialists at my work have suggested some desensitization type techniques. Well, yesterday we held her upside down and tickled her--basically overloading her sensory system. Afterwards she went into her bedroom and put on an entire outfit of typically buggy clothes. Tights even. There isn't much research behind sensory treatments, but if it helps me get this kid dressed, then I am all over it! Check out Sarah's blog for a picture of how she is dressed today. She is calling herself the "Practical Princess." More updates about our weekend, my SAD, and a little therapy tonight...

2 comments:

Munchy's Mama said...

And I'm sure it has nothing to do with the nudist colony you're running over there! (o=

Heather said...

Oh I hate those days where nothing is right. I swear im going to hold her upside down next time. I will will report back to you. It probably wont be till we move back to NY, thats when I will actually care what she wears. till then its beach wear or no wear, lol!
-h