Thursday, September 24, 2009

Ooops...

This is a post with no pics. Two oops incidents occured over the last two days that I would like to report on. First, I'll give the serious story. It's long.
Story #1:
I got a flu shot yesterday, then took the kids over to their pediatrician's office to get theirs.  We were greeted at the door by an unfamiliar medical person. I asked her if she was new, she explained that she is an "extern" getting her clinical hours with my pediatrician. Augi got the nasal spray. All was well with that. Em was supposed to get a shot. Because I work with children with Autism, I am concerned about mercury in vaccinations. Now, mercury was removed from most children's vaccines in 2001, but it is still in the flu shot. I asked the extern if the shot this year has mercury. She checked the box, and yup, it has Thimersol. I decided he needs to be vaccinated, so I told her to go ahead. She loaded up the syringe and came over to stick my baby boy. I was cringing as she walked near, I don't handle shots well. She stopped and said, "Oh, I need to get a band-aid." She set down the needle on her little work area and walked out of the room to find a bandaid. In walked a medical assistant who seemed to know what she was doing (still not our standard favorite nurses). I asked her about the Thimersol free vaccine that they had last year. She explained that they were out and would have more next week. I asked her if I could cancel the shot and come back in next week when they have the Thimersol free version. She said "Sure! In fact, I need to give a flu shot right now, so I will use this one that is already loaded." She picked it up and took a glance at the bottle it came from. Then, she said..."THIS ISN'T THE FLU SHOT. THIS IS THE MENINGOCOCCAL VACCINATION." That nit-wit extern almost stuck my baby boy with some other vaccine that is normally given to teens on their way to college. Freakin' idiot. So, we left without a shot of the wrong vaccine and without any added mercury. Oops.
Story #2
This one is funny. Yesterday was our little friend Annie's birthday. I used to work with her mom, she and Augi both go to the Baldwin home for wayward children, and they are in the same preschool class. Well, she didn't get a party this year because of timing and such. However, her mom brought a bunch of cupcakes for the preschool class to celebrate today. She handed the cupcakes to the teacher, let her know that yesterday was Annie's 5th birthday, and went on her way. Well, Annie was handed her birthday crown by the teacher and she promptly handed it off to Augi. Annie doesn't care about any stinkin' crown. So, another teacher was instructed to write the birthday girl's name on her crown. She came along, saw Augi with the crown, wrote "Happy Birthday Augi" on the crown and proceeded to lead the class in "Happy Birthday to Augi..." Then, at the end of class, they handed Augi a plate of extra cupcakes and told her to take them home. Okey-dokey. It all sounded good to her. So, poor sweet little Annie missed out on her birthday celebration--but Augi got a really cool crown and a plate of cupcakes. School is great!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I will be reading the box of which my kids et their shots from now on. I am always behind in shots because we move so often, but i am fine by it, like you, i worry about certain shots and too many at a time.
As for cupcakes, my brothers daughter ava has had her bday at chucl e cheese twice but doesnt like the mascot mouse so one of her cousins stands up in the chair when they come to sing happy birthday. I think it was Beto and Ava's name was on the big screen, im sure everyone else in the place was confused, lol!
-h

Munchy's Mama said...

What a freakin' ding-dong...that makes me so angry. It's a good thing you're cautious. Someone is lookin' out for lil' Em.

That is awesome Augi got a very merry unbirthday! Those are the best! And so unexpected!