- Augi recently lost an item of clothing at the school pool. It is made of wool, sleaveless, and goes over a shirt. What do you call this? A VEST you say? No, it is clearly a TANK TOP or SLIPOVER. But wait! What is that little sleaveless undershirt called? Don't you dare say TANK TOP.
- Markers are pens with fat tips used for coloring and drawing, right? Nope. They are FELT TIPS.
- If you are blinded by someone's car headlights, what has happened? They have DAZZLED you. No love involved.
- While on the subject of cars...I know that the trunk is the boot. But, do you know what the hood is? It is a BONNET.
- You put PETROL in your car. GAS is the fizzy in your water.
- WIND is smelly and comes from your bum.
- PANTS. My god, the pants. NOBODY should see your pants. They belong in your trousers.
- Who handles the accounting at the school? Well, he is a BURSAR. No matter how many times I try to say it, the poor secretary at the school can't understand me. It is meant to be pronounced somewhat like this.... Buuuuusssaaaa. Augi can say it perfectly.
- You don't go to the doctor for SPOTTED DICK. You eat it.
- Where is the entrance to the supermarket? Oh, you mean the FRONT DOORS.
- Don't take a RUBBER with you on a date unless you plan to edit some pencil marks.
- Your rain boots are WELLIES.
- Did you know that a hair braid rhymes with fat? Only when you call it a PLAIT.
- You dip a BISCUIT in milk, but you don't eat it with gravy.
- Those little cheap shoes we call tennis shoes are PLIMSOLLS and running shoes are TRAINERS.
- You buy NAPPIES for your baby's bum, forget the diaper.
- On the baby issue, you quiet the baby with a DUMMY, and that isn't your husband---it is a binki.
- Trucks are LORRIES.
This is just a list of words I come across on a daily basis. And I thought it would be easy to live here because I didn't have to learn a new language. Don't even get me started on spellings...
3 comments:
i remember the first time i ate spotted dick (and i'm not referring to troys hpv)... lol!!!
in london with my moms old english men friends. they laughed and laughed. cooked raisins are gross. but i do love bubble and squeek! could eat that all day.
have you seen "just go with it"? the little girl trys to do an english accent and it is hilarious. reminds me of tanner trying to be "english".
can't wait until we book our flights. you're staying another year, right?
xoxo s & co.
Omg...Sarah--you're freaking hilarious. Baaad. Love it.
Jessi-I'm SOSOSOSSSSOOOOOOO excited!!! And know now I'll def need a translator (o;
Can't wait!
At least your making note of it, you could just be ignorant and not try to learn the difference. But I suppose the odd looks and laughter on a daily basis do get old ; )
Post a Comment