If someone asks about my siblings, my immediate response is, "I am an only child."
That answer is a bit complicated, though. I was my mother's only birth. I have an older 1/2 sister by my dad. I saw her a handful of times as a child. I also have a younger 1/2 sister, but we didn't meet until my 30's. I have a stepbrother who was around from the time I was 9, we are only a month apart in age, same grade in school, and sometimes went to the same school.
So, technically I was an only child for at least 10 years. Or was I? My mom has 9 siblings, and my aunt is only 3 1/2 years older than me. I spent most weekends and holidays with my grandparents. Sometimes I can relate to the youngest of a big family. I was a bit spoiled as the "youngest." My aunt had to take me EVERYWHERE she went. I imagine my young aunt has had some serious plans to choke me. No wonder we rarely see each other anymore.
Then I got older and I found a guy who I needed as my little brother. All I had to do was say it and now it's so. Families are complicated. Some more than others. My favorite psychologist said that birth order is important. Do I fit the profile of an only child? Youngest of ten? Middle of three? Oldest of two? Twin? I don't really know. Maybe all of these roles are what helped me realize that people are complicated.
No comments:
Post a Comment