Em is great, so is Augi! The surgery seems to have been a success. I have to get the pics from Chris' phone, but I will post them.
I couldn't sleep last night, I was too anxious. I fell asleep sometime around 1. My alarm went off at 4 to remind me not to feed Em after that, and I couldn't go back to sleep. We arrived at the hospital at 6:30. We checked in and waited for just a second. Then, we were shuffled by a nurse to a room where they checked Em's vitals and put him in a tiny hospital gown. We went from there to some other waiting area with a toy pit. It was really really crowded. Em was the cutest kid there, BTW. He played with a few toys while we waited until just after 8. At that time two low-talking anesthesiologists came to visit with us. They explained the procedure and chatted for a minute. They put him under with a mask rather than an IV, and he didn't have to have a tube in his throat. Em was quite interested in those two guys. The physician strolled in about that time and came over to visit with us. He offered an anti-anxiety med FOR EMMETT, but we declined. After a few minutes the two low-talking anesthesiologists returned and walked us down the hall. At the end, I had to kiss Emmett goodbye and hand him to one of the two anesthesiologists. He was most interested in the stethoscope around the dr.'s neck. We walked to yet another waiting area and checked in. I was freakin' starving by this time so I ran down to the cafeteria to grab a bite. I brought some food back upstairs and 13 minutes after they took Emmett from us Dr. Munz came in and told us he was finished. They put Em under, made a tiny incision in his ear drums, sucked out the stagnant goo that had been living there, and put the tubes in. He told us his hearing and balance should improve immediately. Someone was supposed to come get us to see him in post-op. Well, I unwrapped my bagel and we were called. It all took about 15 minutes!
We went into the post op room to find a very pissed little boy. Apparently some babies wake from anesthesia very delirius and grumpy. That was an understatement. He was mad! He calmed after a while and they checked his vitals. By 9:00 we were in our car and on the way home. Em fell asleep at home. He is back to his old self tonight. The difference is amazing. He hasn't been this happy for over a month. I think he must have had an infection and felt absolutely crummy the last few weeks. He was squealing, laughing, playing, and cuddling all evening. It might be my imagination, but he really seems to be hearing better already. I am hopeful that his hearing loss will be gone when he is tested in a month.
As for Augi--she was a bear today, but she can't wait to have another sleep over. She told me our house is dumb and she wants to live at Sarah's because Libby has such a comfy bed. Hmpf. I am tempted to send her.
2 comments:
Oh Jessi, Im so happy to hear this fantastic news! I cant believe all that for 15 mins, even better! As for him acting better, dont let him fool ya, its the drugs, jk! Im sure he is so happy to not feel under water anymore. Hug him for us!
-h
Glad to hear it went so well and fast. Grandpa Albert comes over and talks about Augi's funny quotes all the time. Kiss both your babies for us.
Post a Comment