Thursday, October 14, 2010

Round 2

So, today was Em's second surgery for ear tubes. Poor little guy has never passed a hearing test without tubes. His first set lasted only 6 months, so he has been hearing impaired to some degree for at least the last year. We decided it was time to put another set in. The anesthesia scares me to death. I thought I had everything planned out...but there were a few glitches:
1. Glitch: I decided to wean Emmett this week. I know, how could I? He hasn't even started kindergarten yet, right? I'm so selfish. Anyway, had I not weaned him 3 nights ago, I could have nursed him last night. Instead, there was a no food or water after midnight rule. Therefore, we have been up since 3 a.m. with Em crying for a bottle.
2. Success: we were up on time, so we made it to the hospital at our assigned time. 6:30 a.m.
3. Success: I packed everything and thought of everything. In our bag we had toys, a change of clothing, mp3 players, Augi's school uniform, Bottle, a book for me, and Augi's packed lunch.
4. Glitch: As we got out of the car and got Em loaded in the stroller and Augi got her coat on over her jammies, we all shut our respective doors. And, there on the back seat was my prepared bag. And my keys. Doors were locked. Oops.
5. Success: Em was a trooper. He rode away on the rolly bed lying on his belly watching Blues Clues on the hospital issue dvd player. He barely looked back to say goodbye. Less than 30 minutes later he was waking from the anesthesia with a smile. No tears. Not one. He has been in a great mood! One little vomit episode, but otherwise happy as a lark.
So, I stayed at the hospital with Em as he woke up. Chris borrowed the car of one of my co-workers and drove home with Augi, got her ready, and dropped her at school, then returned with the keys. We are all going on 3 hours of sleep. I am really really really hoping Em will be ready for a nap soon.
By the way, on another note, I have been under the weather for a weirdly long period of time. I have mono. Yep, the kissing disease. Gross.
But, on a good note...we have booked a trip to the Azores mid-November. Yep, the Portuguese Azores. I can't wait.

4 comments:

Tammy and Bruce Jolley said...

I'm glad it went good.

Munchy's Mama said...

Oh my word...it gives me anxiety just reading about it. So-so-so glad everything worked out in the long run.
Oddly enough, I had a dream about little Emmett last night! He was showing me how big he had gotten and it still makes me teary just thinking about it. MISS YOU GUYS!!
I might try and photo-shop him into the swimming party pics with the pic of him in his speedo, LOL!
Munch got his present in the mail!! He was so excited! Love the card, I keep studying it...too funny!

sarah baldwin said...

oh my heck... i haven't checked your blog in a few days. lots going on over there. i'm glad you are all well. what does the book say about mono? let me know if you need me to check ;) we love you guys. xoxo sarah & co.

Heather said...

What a trooper, so proud of him!

I have mono before too, i think i have the weakness immune system and catch everything at least once. Enjoy the rest.

Our adopted portuguese family in Harrisburg is from Madeira and from what I have seen amazing. So excited for you all. Im an island person and those islands are on my list. Good luck!

-h