Saturday, August 16, 2008

News and tidbits. No pics.

Congrats to Chris--he ran a 5k at the crack of dawn this morning. He has been working hard to get in shape and this was a big accomplishment for him. Too bad we weren't there to snap a picture at the finish line--but it was too early for us.

I was reading cousin Jen's blog and she was telling about her girls telling lies. It made me giggle because I think preschoolers are so funny with their unsophisticated attempts at lying. They all do it, there are even some great fun studies that show how they lie when asked to refrain from eating a gummy bear. Anyway, Jen's story made me think I should share Augi's latest little fib. Our conversation went a little like this:
  • Augi: "Mommy!! Let's have a movie night!" (Augi only gets one tv show or movie a day and she loves it when she doesn't have one all day so she can save it for a "movie night", which involves mommy and daddy and popcorn)
  • Me: "Um, no. Didn't you already watch a movie this morning?" (Here I go making the fatal mistake of asking her a question to which I already know the answer)
  • Augi: "No, mom. That was some other little girl."

Then, here is an example of her not only telling the truth, but her being very aware of her motives:

Today, Augi was being a little turkey. I just got Em to sleep and laid him in his swing. I went downstairs to put the laundry in the drier. When I came up, Augi was kissing the now awake Emmett. I yelled at her and asked her why she woke him up. She said, "I didn't wake him up. Him was already awake. I just wanted your attention!!!" So, tonight I am finishing all of my chores so I can hang out with her tomorrow.

OK. Last Augi story. This is like watching someone else's home videos right? Anyway, tonight I was shredding newspaper to make my bunny litter. Augi was helping me fold the newspapers before putting them into the shredder. I told her she could be my assistant. She asked me several times, "Mom, what did you call me?" I would tell her, "my assistant." After about 10 minutes, she said, "I no like being an assistant." She decided cutting up the paper into little tiny pieces with scissors was much more fun. I have a feeling Augi will never be anybody's assistant. She will be the boss. It must be the name.

2 comments:

jen said...

So glad my kids aren't the only ones with truthtelling issues! Hooray for Chris running a 5k...I'd like to be brave enough to run a 5k, but I don't like running in public! I'll have to tell Sadie and Avery that they are assistants instead of helpers....much more distinguished.

Heather said...

cute! we do movies at night too! part of our bed time ritual.
-h